Elevated levels of radon gas are a threat to your household. It’s helpful to understand this gas and the health effects it may have on your family. January is National Radon Action Month, so learn about the dangers of radon in the home.
Understanding Radon in the Home
Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that is sometimes found in high concentrations in buildings. The gas is a byproduct of the decomposition of radium, thorium, and uranium underground. It is especially dangerous because it is odorless and tasteless, making it impossible to detect without testing.
Unhealthy exposure to radon happens when it becomes trapped inside a building and mixes with the air you breathe. Radon builds up to unsafe levels in poorly ventilated areas and well-sealed homes. It will affect indoor air quality, reaching unsafe levels inside the building.
Getting Your House Tested
Your home can have low levels of radon at the same time your neighbor’s house has a dangerous accumulation. There are many factors that affect how the gas builds up in a home and this is why every residence should be tested.
Hiring a professional to perform testing provides the most accurate results. Oftentimes, homeowners using a DIY test kit make mistakes, providing faulty results. You don’t want to take this risk, because you might end up putting your family at risk for lung cancer. A professional knows how to administer the test and is trained to interpret the findings. The EPA states that radon levels at 4 pCi/L or higher are unhealthy to be living with and should be mitigated.
Call a radon mitigation professional if your home tests for unsafe levels. He or she will design a system to effectively reduce the gas by venting it outside of the house. Your technician will also seal cracks properly to help prevent radon from entering your home.